- University of Toronto. 2019. "Analyzing telemetry data in R" workshop for graduate students in biology
- Trent University. 2019. "Mark-recapture models in R" workshop for graduate students in biology
- Trent University. 2019. "Analyzing telemetry data in R" workshop for graduate students in biology
- Trent University. 2019. "Introduction to Generalized Linear Mixed-Effects Models in R" workshop for graduate students in biology
- Trent University. 2018. "Analyzing telemetry data in R" workshop for graduate students in biology
If you'd like me to give a workshop on data analyses in R to your department, lab group, or organization, please contact me.
Recent Guest Lectures & Seminars
- Trent University. 2019. "The effects of wildlife rehabilitation on populations" seminar for Environmental and Life Sciences Program
- Brandon University. 2019. "Movement ecology" lecture in Animal Behaviour
- Brandon University. 2018. "Linking habitat selection to fitness and abundance in reptile species at risk" for Science seminar series
- University of Ottawa. 2017. "Drivers of density in tree lizards" for Department of Biology seminar series
If you'd like me to give a seminar to your department, please contact me.
During graduate school, I regularly worked as a Teaching Assistant in undergraduate science labs. Below are the courses I've worked on.
- Conservation Biology 2017 (University of Ottawa)
- Population & Community Ecology 2016 (University of Ottawa)
- Applied Biostatistics 2015-2016 (University of Ottawa)
- Zoology of Vertebrates 2015 (University of Ottawa)
- Ecology 2013-2014 (University of Ottawa)
- Animal Form & Function 2014, 2016 (University of Ottawa)
- Invertebrate Zoology 2010 (Laurentian University)
- Histology 2009-2010 (Laurentian University)
- Vertebrate Zoology 2009-2010 (Laurentian University)
I believe communicating results from science is a critical part of the scientific process. While peer-reviewed papers are the primary way scientists communicate results, I believe in also using other formats to make results easier to access. I have given presentations on conservation biology, citizen science and other topics to groups ranging from grade school students to naturalists to professionals. Below are some highlights.
- Let's Talk Science outreach 2013-2017. As a volunteer for Let's Talk Science, I have led in-class and public presentations to engage students in exciting science activities. I also had the opportunity to travel to the James Bay community of Kashechewan in 2016 to lead hands on science activities for elementary and high-school students.
- Reptile & Amphibian Training for Professionals Workshop 2012-2013. While working for Ontario Nature, I helped organize and teach a three day course on identifying and searching for reptiles and amphibians in Ontario aimed at environmental consultants, government biologists and environmental NGOs.
- Ontario Reptile & Amphibian Atlas outreach. 2011-2013. During two years working on this project for Ontario Nature I delivered more than 60 presentations to a total of more than 3000 members of the public and naturalist clubs on citizen science and reptile and amphibian natural history.